Whether you’re looking for fresh ideas for Meatless Mondays or Fridays during Lent, or you have special friends you’d like to impress with your vegetarian cooking skills, we definitely think you should give this hearty casserole a try!
Veggie Tater Bake
Flo’s V-8 Cafe, Disney California Adventure
3/4 cup bulgur wheat*
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 small cloves)
2/3 cup diced zucchini
2/3 cup diced yellow squash
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 1/2 cups vegetarian sausage crumbles, such as Morningstar Farms
coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
6 deli-style slices cheddar or 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
1. Place bulgur in a large, heatproof bowl; cover with boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes; drain excess water and set bulgur aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. Heat oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan; add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add zucchini, squash, and peppers. Cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in sausage crumbles and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
4. Add bulgur to pan, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Pour mixture into a 9×9 baking dish, packing firmly with a spatula.
6. Spread mashed potatoes over mixture, then top with cheddar.
7. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and light brown at the edges. Let cool 3 to 4 minutes, then cut into squares and serve hot.
*Chef’s note: Whole wheat couscous can be substituted if bulgur is not available.
Will you be trying this tasty recipe out? Leave a comment and let us know how you like it!
Recipe Courtesy Disney Parks Blog