When it comes to favorite restaurants at Disney World, EVERY Disney fan has an opinion, although some restaurants seem to always make the favorites list.
But it seems that when we ask Disney fans what the most underrated and overrated restaurants are, the opinions are a little more mixed. When we asked our DFB readers this question, THOUSANDS of you responded!
And some of your answers totally surprised us. When Be Our Guest made its grand debut inside Beast’s Castle at Magic Kingdom, it was a hot ticket and remains so even now. But when we asked you about it, a whopping 70% said it was overrated! WHA?
This is the only location where you get to see Beast, and the atmosphere alone is worth dining here! However, we wonder if this response is due to some of the changes that happened when the restaurant reopened: the quick-service lunch is no longer served and both lunch and dinner are a prix fixe menu now. Whatever the case, y’all seemed pretty convinced this is no longer a “must-do” at Disney World!
However, when we asked about Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano over at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the responses were more mixed. About half of you (49%) think it’s underrated, while the other half (51%) believe it’s overrated. It’s interesting how close this poll was!
We get it. Sometimes we find Mama Melrose’s inconsistent — at times, the food is great, but at other times, not so much. But we’ve also had some GREAT meals here, so maybe we’re torn, too!
Another restaurant that had a close vote was California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. This is another restaurant we often recommend, but only 45% of you think it’s underrated, with 55% saying it’s overrated.
Granted, a lot has changed since its reopening, particularly now that you don’t get that amazing fireworks view with dinner. But it’s still a great swanky dining spot that overlooks Magic Kingdom, and our most recent experience there was pretty amazing.
So many of these responses were SO CLOSE. When it comes to the Hollywood Brown Derby at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, we also had a close vote: 44% of you think it’s underrated, while 56% believe it’s overrated.
We recently ate there, and we totally think it’s still great! The Hollywood Brown Derby still delivers a great atmosphere, fantastic service, and super tasty food! Sure, it’s not a place that screams “Disney!” but that’s part of why we love it — it’s a total escape into a quiet super chill old Hollywood restaurant.
Victoria and Albert’s Restaurant at the Grand Floridian is one of the most acclaimed restaurants at Disney World. Yet 63% of our readers think it’s overrated! And this place has a AAA five-diamond rating! Only 37% think it’s underrated, so this is definitely another big surprise.
We can’t help but wonder if this is due to the price increase of the Chef’s Table, but this was already a pretty pricey place to dine at. We’ve always felt the price was worth it, but it seems like maybe some of you don’t! And that’s fascinating!
However, 61% of you believe that the Grand Floridian Cafe is underrated. Only 39% feel it’s overrated. We’ve often agreed that this location doesn’t get nearly as much attention as it should!
We dined here in the summer after the restaurant reopened and had a great experience there! The food was still great, and even with the changes made due to new health and safety guidelines, we had a great breakfast there!
As far as character meals go, Crystal Palace has one thing really going for it — it’s at Magic Kingdom and features character dining with Pooh and Friends! We last ate there before Disney World closed and had a great time with the characters. And the food was good, too! But our readers seem split on whether it’s worth eating there or not: 54% of you think it’s underrated, while 46% of you believe it’s overrated.
These opinions could change after the restaurant reopens on December 13th, and the buffet becomes a family-style menu without characters.
One of the most fun dining locations at Disney World is 50’s Prime Time Cafe, where you can have a home-cooked meal and get teased for having your elbows on the table. And, most of you — 60%, that is — think this restaurant is completely underrated! The other 40% believe it’s overrated.
We’ve got good news, too — although the restaurant has changed a little due to new health and safety guidelines, you will still TOTALLY get heckled, just from a distance. It’s still SO much fun, and yes, the food is still solid, too.
There’s a reason that Garden Grill at EPCOT is on our top 10 restaurant lists since the park reopened! And we’ve always felt it was underrated, even with its current modified character experience. And it seems many of you agree — 68% believe Garden grill is underrated, while only 32% feel it’s overrated.
We love that this restaurant offers a view of the Living with the Land attraction, not to mention that it rotates! Ingredients come straight from The Land pavilion, so you’re getting fresh quality food that’s always consistently good.
So there you have it, the restaurants you think are overrated or underrated. Some of your responses surprised us, but others we couldn’t agree with more! Thanks to everyone who participated in the polls and keep an eye out for the next one!
We Asked Our Readers: Do You Think Character Dining Is Still Worth the Splurge? Here’s What They Said
Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!
Which restaurants do you think are most overrated and underrated at Disney World? Let us know in the comments!